I’m sure many of you have watched the television show “Breaking Bad.” If not, then I’d highly recommend it, but be aware that you are in for an hour-long anxiety attack.
It’s a fascinating and suspenseful show with excellent character development, plot twists and beautiful cinematography. Its multiple accolades and dedicated fan base are well-deserved.
To commemorate a good show, its artistically-inclined fans have designed posters. If you also are a fan, you’ll enjoy the references made in each poster. Otherwise, I think you can enjoy the technique and formal aspects of these works. (Maybe it’s time to add “Breaking Bad” to your Netflix queue, too!)
1. The show is set in New Mexico, and the texture of these colors has a gritty desert feel to it.
2. Conceptually, this is an interesting poster. It combines the act of chemistry (as it relates to Walter White) with some nice details of the show.
3. This is another piece that uses subtle detail well. Here the silhouette encapsulates Walt and is a visual container and the centerpiece of the poster.
4. A photo-realistic yet painterly poster that does a really nice job of combining all of the characters without being visually confusing.
5. No spoilers (I promise) but this poster is a conceptual giveaway.
6. An abstract representation of a symbol of the show. If you weren’t familiar with the plot, you could enjoy this as a painting.
7. Budapest-based designer Zsolt Molnár created a poster for every episode of 'Breaking Bad.' He tries to capture the essence of every episode and includes a quote and significant object from it. This is one example from the series.
8. There are several references to the show in Gabriel Marques’ poster, which is beautifully rendered in graphite.
9. The show had a lot of memorable quotes. Here’s one that’s integrated in the design.
10. I won’t give the plot away, but this simple graphic poster captures the tension of the now-iconic bell.
11. More quotes! This time typography is the center of this poster, which features them from both Walt and Jesse. It includes my all-time favorite line said by Walt, 'I am the one who knocks!'
12. A cartoony interpretation of the characters in the show.
13. The super lab was an awesome sight to behold. Here Kevin Tong has drawn a map of it for us.
14. A lot of posters I’ve featured here are illustrative in style. This unusual image uses photography to create a mosaic, geometric design.
15. Ken Taylor’s depiction of 'Breaking Bad' characters looks like they are out of a comic book or graphic novel. Considering the scope and complexity of the show, this comparison is apt.
We're in the poster empire business.
OK, I think we’ve fit as many “Breaking Bad” quotes into this article as we can. Now it’s your turn! Which poster was your favorite? Tell us in the comments below!