Selfie (n.): a photograph that one takes of oneself, typically a photo taken with a smartphone or webcam and shared via social media.
Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past few years, I can reasonably assume you know what a selfie is. The term and type of photo has skyrocketed into popularity and become ingrained into mainstream culture, whether we like it or not. (Personally, I’m pro-selfie.)
So what makes a selfie a good selfie? That’s up for debate, but I think whenever you can add a little whimsical fun into the picture, it makes it all the better.
1. During the 2014 Oscars, Ellen DeGeneres gathered a bevy of famous folks like Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence and Julia Roberts into this selfie. Once tweeted, the selfie was retweeted more than 2.5 million times!
2. Famous science guys Neil deGrasse Tyson and Bill Nye snapped this selfie with President Obama.
3. This picture was taken by a girl who made a mad dash onto the field of a sporting event. I hope the selfie was worth the crazy fines she incurred!
4. If I survived a plane crash, not sure the first thing I’d do is take a selfie …
5. Greatest photobomb ever? This girl was taking her picture at a Beyonce concert and got an unexpected surprise from Queen Bey herself.
6. This dad created a hilarious spoof on his 20-year-old son’s selfie. Don’t you think he did a great job of recreating it?
7. This photo proves two things: Eminem is into selfies, and Eminem is into fine art. (He’s posing in front of the iconic Mona Lisa.)
8. A black macaque monkey got ahold of a wildlife photographer’s camera and managed to take a few selfies before the device was retrieved. It made for an epic photo - love the toothy grin!
9. Meryl Streep and Hillary Rodham-Clinton snapped this selfie and donated it to Shutter To Think. You can purchase this photo with a donation to a charity of your choice.
10. Full disclosure: I am a huge fan of both Zach Braff and Jon Hamm, so imagine my delight when they are both in the same selfie, which was taken at the Democratic National Convention in 2012.
11. The Royal Danish Air Force released this photo of an F16 pilot who is snapping a selfie just as a live AIM-9 missile takes off. What a stunning photograph.
12. On Jan. 1, 2013, Danielle Bruckman lost her phone and it somehow fell into the hand of another person - one with an impressive mustache. Thanks to Apple and a flaw in the Cloud, she received all of his pictures in her photo stream. She hilariously recreated the selfies she found.
13. James Franco does beauty regimens, too! In an honest selfie, the star shows off his under-eye strips, which I think are meant to reduce puffiness.
14. Helene Meldahl, aka @mirrosme, is definitely upping her selfie game. She draws impressive doodles on her bathroom mirror and playfully interacts with them.
15. How about we end where we began? Soon after the infamous 2014 Oscar selfie was released, 'The Simpsons' brilliantly parodied it.
Own Your Selfie
When it comes to taking a selfie, you can’t go wrong. The more random and crazy you make it, the greater your selfie will be. Getting creative with your selfie is pretty easy and, quite frankly, really fun.
Last but not least, own your selfie. If you exude confidence, then your selfie will turn out great. There are no guidelines for a selfie (except that you have fun with it, of course!)